Bali Dua - Bees and Elephants

Another thing you wouldn't see in the states... Three 10 year olds rockin' a moped around at 70mph.  They were super stoked.  Except for the kid in the middle, he looked pretty scared...




Low tide at Racetracks.  This was by far my favorite section of the reef at Uluwatu.  What starts off has a fun little point break mutates down the line into a square barrel.  The downside of the draining barrel section is the SHALLOW reef.  I bounced off it every single time I didn't make it out clean.  Amber quickly got used to slathering my reef cuts in iodine after every low tide session.  Totally worth it, although the plane ride home with a back covered in gouges wasn't particularly fun... 

Here is the section where it would throw.  Same spot. Every. Single. Time.  So sick.  The locals had it dialed in too.  This guy had a thick reef top on, next time I go somewhere tropical that is a must have... 

This is temples further up the point.  Uluwatu has a bunch of different sections.  At a medium tide (from down the point up) outside corner and racetracks would be head high, then middles would be about the same, the peak would be double overhead, then temples would be bigger...  There wasn't a single day there that you couldn't find a double overhead wave if you wanted...  Bali was bigger and shallower than I could have imagined.  Almost too good. Almost... 

Local lookout opposite the Uluwatu village. 

We stayed just to the right of the dogs the last couple weeks at Mamo.  I would wander down the road every morning to surf.  Then we would walk across the street (left of the dogs) to eat breakfast. 

Bali bees are fucking huge.  They make the bees in Hawaii look small.  These hornets were bigger than your thumb and were everywhere.  Luckily they were nice.  But while sitting out at Ulu one day I felt a sharp sting in my hand.  I looked down and there was a giant stinger sticking out by my thumb, which I quickly yanked out.  Just as I was wondering what they hell has a stinger like this in the ocean?  I saw a giant bumblebee crawling on my arm.  I probably looked a bit frantic flicking it off and flailing around, but it was scary.  Those bumblebees are massive.  My hand was swollen and quite painful for about three days... 




Riding elephants was pretty sweet.  It was a bit of a tourist trap, but you did get to sit around and feed or pet the leathery beasts.  It was also interesting talking to our guide.  He told us about the Arrak (local drink) that he has because Bintangs are too expensive.  Also about the elephants, who it sounds like to fight and wander into neighboring fields and get in trouble.  I think our elephant was named Roxy.  She was 35 years old and about 13 feet high.  Pretty bumpy ride through the jungle.  

No comments: