Out of the Woods

Welcome back to the real world, where waves are few and far between...



I have traded in the slow paced life on the Cape for the hustle and bustle of the city and the campus.  After living in my truck for the past three months it is nice to have things like electricity, running water, television, a couch, etc.   However, there are a lot of things I will miss....  Such as living 200 yards from a sick wedge peak, being around such a variety of animals and plants, surfing pretty much EVERY day, hiking all over the place, grinding on copious amounts of salmon, fishing 10 steps from my camp... 

Its gonna be rough for the next year with school and work taking up all my time.  I have a feeling that there will be a lot of extended weekend trips in my near future.  One thing is for sure, this summer made me realize how much I want to live on the ocean.  Its such a different pace than what I am used to.  Instead of driving in a hurry for an hour to get the best tide or make a ferry, I can get my coffee and cruise to the beach.  Mellow. Relaxed.  Waves?  Shit, there are waves every day.  Nothing beats it. 

Bailed on a trip to LP this weekend in hopes that the long range forecast sticks for the next weekend.  If the swell is actually 15 ft. my worries wont be if there are waves, it will be where to go...

5 comments:

drexnefex said...

'zactly....where to go....

SurfingwithSasquatch said...

points or pits?

eastbound said...

feel your pain with the living on the ocean deal...got a more tropical taste of that for about 7 months, then had to move back to Seattle last year........Just couldnt do it,sold my house and am bailing toward a new ocean permanently next Friday. cant wait.

Doc said...

While dire straits...
Are a summertime reality...
I'd argue fall & winter...
At least offer...
Hope...
In peaks & valleys.

R said...

Exactly why I went to school in Florida and then NorCal. Surfed 3-7 times a week. Check out the "SURFER’s Guide To The Best Surf Colleges" in the latest issue of Surfer. You can always trasfer or do a semester aborad, etc... 5 years inland.. Arg! But I'm a Dad, home owner, carrer man, n shit.... so PDX is alright. But it sure as shit wasn't the surf that brought me back up here.